Pages

Wednesday 19 July 2017

A School Reunion with David Bowie and Bob the Builder

On Sunday evening I went out to see a new (to me) band, Rebel Rebel, at a new venue, NEM (Nothing Else Matters) in Heanor, and it was interestingly outside of my gig comfort-zone for a few reasons.
Firstly, anyone who knows me will know I'm not a fan of bands who solely play 'covers', so a Bowie tribute act doesn't seem like my obvious choice of entertainment; secondly, although obviously I know his music, I'm not particularly a Bowie fan; and lastly, I'm generally not a fan of the 'school reunion' (we've all seen Grosse Pointe Blank), and the band and audience were mainly old school mates from way back when!

I heard about the event in the bizarre way of social media from a friend who now lives in New Zealand, but is more in touch with folk from our old school than I am, and, in the spirit of embracing whatever weirdness comes my way, I went along and really enjoyed it.
I've always had this theory that school reunions are about reminiscing over the good/bad old days, and trying to prove you're doing better than everyone else now, (which is what puts me off the whole idea of reunions) but with loud music playing in a small space there's not a lot of opportunity for either.
As it was, the band were great, "Bowie" really got into the mood with some quick costume changes, and the whole thing was quite fun, although to be honest I'm not sure I recognised many folk from school.










Much fun being had by all :)





And Bob the Builder? ... well, one of those old school friends is actually quite famous - not Bob himself, but the writer of the theme song. Sadly, he was also one of the many people I didn't recognise but maybe I'll get to say Hi another time.















6 comments:

  1. Sounds an interesting get together Mary. Quite a nice way to do it too. It's funny with the school reunion thing isn't it. I've never been to one but I went to my husbands school reunion earlier in the year and it was great fun. Nice for me to put names to faces that had been mentioned over the years and great for him to catch up. And we all had a bit of a dance too. You just never know who you are going to meet at these events. #tweensteensbeyond

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an excellent way to do it - no pressure to chat to everyone, and the band covered any awkward silences. I felt more like I was meeting strangers than folk I once knew though.

      Delete
  2. Mary there is never a dull moment in your life. You are becoming quite the concert veteran. I have avoided school and university reunions like the plague, tending to stick with the ones I have chosen to keep in touch with but there is something to be said for stepping outside your comfort zone once in a while isn't there? #TweensTeensBeyond

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've just kept in touch with a few friends too, and let the rest slide. But of course everyone changes in those years since school, and I possibly wouldn't pick the same ones for friends, if starting from 'cold', as I did back then. Now there's talk of a more formal reunion, which I'm undecided about attending ... it could be fun, it could be dire!

      Delete
  3. As per our twitter exchange Mary you'll know I have a reunion coming up. This sounds like a good one! I too am a bit worried about the one-upmanship that may go on! I hope I enjoy mine as much as you did! Thanks so much for joining us at #TweensTeensBeyond

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by Sharon. I think all reunions should be like this - no need to make small talk with folk I didn't really know - and no awkward silences that HAD to be filled!

      Delete