Pages

Tuesday 10 October 2017

Running away from zombies

I've been talking for a while about taking more exercise and getting fitter, but, despite it being one of my New Year's Resolutions, I haven't really done anything about it in an organised manner. OK, for a while I regularly did 10-15 minutes of zumba in the evening, but then the days grew longer, the curtains didn't need shutting and I stopped, rather than have passers-by staring at me. Over summer there's always gardening to be done, and I think with my stay-cation outings I went out walking more than usual, so I think I'm at least maintaining my level of activity. 

As middle, if not old, age creeps up on me, though, I'm not sure if this is enough. 




And, something you should always take into consideration, what about the zombie apocalypse? 
Please don't say you've never thought about it! 
Doing a Buzzfeed quiz I always know the best way to survive the sudden appearance of zombie hoards on the streets ... but always fall down on one important question - Can you run a mile? Oops! I can't even run 100 yards these days. The zombies would catch me every time. 
So, with that in mind, I've taken up running. 
I shan't be joining my husband and his mates at their running club (to be honest, I don't think they'd approve of my motivation, or indeed my running kit pictured above) but my youngest daughter is currently training for her first marathon, and when she came in from a short run last weekend I asked if she'd be happy to go out again with me. 
So we did. 
Incredibly slowly.
Not my decision I hasten to say - I'd have run as hard as possible for five yards then collapsed in a heap - but my daughter insists this is the way to do things and as she's gone from non-runner, to half-marathon (and hopefully marathon soon) finisher in little more than a year, I'm taking her advice.
I have three months before the end of the year, six before a milestone birthday, let's see if I can outrun those zombies by then!

----------------------------


And if you're interested, my daughter's running Leicester Marathon this Sunday, raising money for MIND  and you can find her Just Giving page here

8 comments:

  1. GO Mary!! I truly admire you because when you say you are going to do it, you really do it with bells on. And good luck to your daughter with her Marathon on Sunday #tweensteensbeyond

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she might need all the luck going, so thank you, Nicky. As for my progress ... so far, so good, but it's early days yet. I'm hoping I can keep up my enthusiasm when the weather turns colder!

      Delete
  2. Believe it or not there is an app you can download that places you in a Zombie apocalypse and you have to run to keep away from the chasing horde, you listen while out and it tells you if you need to run or go faster etc. It is called Zombies, Run

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds brilliant! Such a lot more fun than running with a club. First I have to be able to really RUN a bit further, though. At the moment I don't think I'd survive long at all :)

      Delete
  3. Oh Mary I started this in the summer with my youngest teen and loved it until I didn't stretch properly on one run and tore my calf muscle. Fast forward and we are back on track. I love the way it makes me feel but more than that I love our time together bonding over a shared interest. Well done you. Every step counts. #TweensTeensBeyond

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sound like you're enjoying it more than I do, though it's nice to spend time alone with my daughter, chatting about this, that, and everything, as I stagger round :)

      Delete
  4. Ah Mary this seems to be a common pursuit for ladies of midlife. I have also taken up running, I'm following the Couch to 5K programme and my middle daughter came with me the first time I went in case I collapsed. I started the C25K for the fifth time a few weeks ago and I am running for three minutes which is a huge achievement for me. I do find it helps with mood swings! Keep going and good luck. Thanks so much for sharing with us at #TweensTeensBeyond

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It DOES seem popular, doesn't it? I don't think I'll ever make it to 5K - my mile and half circular will be enough - but good luck with your efforts x

      Delete