Pages

Saturday 20 January 2018

Resolutions 2018

I don't like to be quick with my new year's resolutions. I prefer the whole festive season to be truly over, and the first week or so of 'normal' got through, before I commit myself. But time is passing, the snowdrops are starting to peek through, and before I realise Spring will be here.


Perhaps it's getting time to think about plans and New Year resolutions...

Last year's didn't go too well, in fact I never really committed myself to them.
Gardening was the only one I really put any effort into; though that and my short-lived enthusiasm for  running did get me a little fitter.

So ... time for another go at the same old things, but with a bit of planning about them.

Probably too ambitious!
In fact, scheduling is my big resolution for this year. With no fixed timetable for my days, they just drift - hour by hour, then week by week, and suddenly it's December again! At the same time, I always feel rushed off my feet, yet it's often difficult to see what it is I'm actually doing. Things will probably be even more difficult now with a baby grandson to coo over.
So I'm going to get organised (a lot of my family will be laughing right now), make proper timetables, and assign various activities to different days. Everything from running (once the weather improves) to taking up crafts and dabbling in art, learning foreign languages and even 'down time' is going to have proper scheduled time in my new cunning plan. It isn't quite formulated yet, so maybe that should be the first resolution to work on.




Resolutions always seem a bit dull and worthy; the whole feeling about them being of giving up something fun (alcohol, food) and/or doing something hard (getting fit, rising early with the alarm clock, running x miles). I'm sure I'm not the only person who'd rather do something a little fun! Fortunately through out the year, I'll be trying Sixty Things to celebrate my big birthday. From trying new food to watching new bands, I hope it will be an interesting way to mark the year.


4 comments:

  1. I love that you don't write your resolutions until the dust settles on January, Mary. I reckon you will have done a whole lot more than you think last year - just take a look over your blog. I actually did mine in December this time around. I took advantage of a few planning courses and got everything done and sorted. I'm not a fan of the 'giving up things for January' type resolution. Unless that is giving up things that no longer serve me. They will have gone through a rigorous process and then I will finally have decided it's time to 'out' them. A lot to do with the being 50 thing too. I'm doing OK with my goals so far. Look forward to hearing of yours and your sixty ways. Thanks for sharing with #tweensteensbeyond

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's too easy to be over-enthusiastic at the beginning of the New Year, and then resolutions get broken before the month's out. Glad to hear yours are going well. I'm finding having fun with my sixty new things is so far proving more interesting than the more general changes I'd like to make. Still, it's only January, and resolutions are for all year, not just this month. #tweensteensbeyond

      Delete
  2. I agree, the beginning of January is not the best time to be making resolutions. I have never made any giving up ones either. I'm not sure what I'd give up as I don't smoke, I eat healthily and don't drink much either! Exercise is always a good one to take up. Good luck with the running, I'm trying to do that more too. Hope the scheduling goes well - sounds like a good plan! Thanks so much for sharing with us at #TweensTeensBeyond

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ought to give up food - or at least all the snacks, but I always sort of hope that if I take more exercise, the amount I eat doesn't matter. Maybe. Yes, organisation is where I'm putting my effort this year. No more aimlessly plodding through the days to suddenly find out it's September!

      Delete