Pages

Thursday 30 November 2017

Never Too Old


Last night I was out at a gig, bouncing, singing, and clapping, along with guys a third of my age.






In the night I woke up with agonising cramp in another weird and wonderful, previously undiscovered, muscle; this time in my foot.

This morning, I'm stiff, and full of aches and pains.

My first thought was "I'm too old for this".

But I'm not.
I may not be fit enough, but that's a different problem. Obviously, neither my half-hearted zumba or attempts to outrun zombies are keeping me supple enough to stand for three hours listening to music; so I should change my exercise.
What I'm talking about here is the automatic assumption that some activities belong only to the young, and that as we age, we should stop pursuing them and take up something more 'age approriate'.
Why?
I think we need to stop thinking like this.
I've had this argument out with myself before, but more from the angle of worrying what others would think, and yet here I am again blaming my age, when it's actually a fitness issue.

Just because I'm older I haven't fundamentally changed in myself. I still like the same music, TV and books. I've always liked walking in the countryside, or visiting stately homes, both of which might be considered suitable for an elderly person, but equally I like paddling whenever I get the chance, or eating ice cream on a freezing day, the way a child might.

Next year, I'll hit another 'big' birthday, one that would once have entitled me to a pension(!), but I'm not going to hang up my (low-heeled, comfy) dancing shoes, and spend every evening in front of the TV.
I don't want to change my habits and become some cartoon caricature of a middle-aged woman.
I'm still me, just with greyer hair.


If you want to go to a gig, climb a mountain, or play Pokemon Go, if you're fit enough, go for it!
And actually, once you retire you'll have time to do all these things.






Today I'm back to gentler pursuits - making passata, knitting a baby shawl - but I'm not going to accept that age means I have to give up things I enjoy.

From now on I have a new motto "Never Too Old" 

8 comments:

  1. You are so right! I still try to live my life the same way I always have. Me and the hubby have a great circle of friends who feel exactly the same way, and four times a year (as a bare minimum) we have a dinner party and dance until 3am! Once our eldest (aged 17) rang us at 2am to find out if we were ok as we weren't home yet!! Role reversal - I love it! #TweensTeensBeyond

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh that sounds like an excellent idea. Now I wonder which of my friends would be up for it ...

      Delete
  2. I recognise your posts immediately Mary and I always think 'what has she been up to now?!' Totally agree with your philosophy and outlook on life. For as long as we have feet, we shall dance. Wonderful. Thanks for sharing with #tweensteensbeyond

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping y and commenting, Nicki. Just wait till next year! I'm not letting it sneak quietly past :)

      Delete
  3. Love this attitude Mary and very pertinent to me this weekend as I turned 50. I took up running at 45 having never done it before in my life so there's plenty of life in the old girl yet!! Thanks so much for sharing with us at #TeensTweensBeyond

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Sharon. I'm discovering how important fitness is as age starts to creep up, so although my running plans dropped out of sight with the onset of cold weather, I'm determined to pick them up again in Spring.

      Delete
  4. Mary I have said it before and I will say it again you are an absolute inspiration! You make me feel tired sometimes just reading your posts but it always brings a smile to my face. You are doing midlife proud for sure. #TweensTeensBeyond

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha. Imagine how tired I feel! The morning after a night out I can feel shattered, but I'm not ready to settle down and be sensible yet!!

      Delete